Susan Lily New Music


ComScore

Thursday 9 February 2012

Gut Instinct Vs Honesty


I do wish that “gut instinct” was the focus of my childhood education rather than “being honest”.  The latter has given me many headaches over the years.  I’ve learned the hard way on many occasions that honesty is not always conducive to a happy relationship.  If I’d listened to my gut instinct a bit more I would also still have my gorgeous little Brumby ute.  I kept willing the guys at the petrol station in the big truck to look my way and sadly I did not follow my feelings and ended up in a collision that cost me my vehicle.  In the workplace I have become shunned by bosses because I speak my mind and frankly it’s just not smart to be honest sometimes.

As far as I can see gut instinct will allow a person a far wiser path in life.  For instance, if there is something tricky you want to broach with a friend or a loved one it’s not always in their best interests for you to be brutally honest.  I guess the upshot is for us all to put ourselves in the other person’s shoes occasionally and not only think about how we would feel but also assess if it was going to have a positive or negative effect on the relationship.  Will it do the other person any good to know the absolute truth?  Sometimes it doesn’t.  White lies are paramount in the adult world for business deals, CV’s and countless many other situations whether we like them or not.

Perhaps the next time someone has brought something to the table for assessment, and your honest answer might hurt them, take a breath.  Try and find a pleasant way or something positive to say about the topic so the person does not take offence.  If you can do that and work around the honest truth you will not left looking like the party pooper who stole their lunch money.

I’m still learning and marvelling at how brilliant and real my gut instinct is.  The times I’ve tuned in and “felt” about something or someone have been proven correct time and again.  So I’m sticking to listening to what’s going on inside so I get just that little bit more joy into my life.

1 comment:

  1. Temper the truth with kind words, so they say. Or just lie, dishonesty is, by definition, the second best policy, I can accept second best.

    ReplyDelete