Susan Lily New Music


ComScore

Monday 19 March 2012

Newton's third Law and Friendship


We all know when a friendship ends; most of us resist it and keep trying to maintain it.  These days I feel that is akin to resuscitation on a corpse that is long cold.  So why do we do it?  Is it because we feel some kind of principle is involved?  The “how dare they” not want to be friends with us anymore?  Or is it that we simply feel the need to not be alone because we see that as being lonely?

I used to try to hang on to friends in the hope they would stop being “reactive” (ie the only contact from them was when they were contacted by me first).  I now realise that is just not healthy.  It can also hold you back from meeting potentially better and more suitable friends because you are forever spending your energy on people who are not really interested in returning that energy to you.

Friendship really should be like Newton’s third Law, which shows a certain amount of balance.  It states that for every action in nature there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Being alone is not lonely, but being alone in a “friendship” is.  I’m glad I’ve taken the leap of faith and moved on.  The universe has rewarded me for my courageous choice; and it will do the same for you if you ask it.

No comments:

Post a Comment