Susan Lily New Music


ComScore

Wednesday 19 July 2017

How Do We Know When We Choose Wisely?

Dear Lovely Ones,

My grandad used to say things like "you're a long time dead" whenever I wrangled with a decision.  He also used to laugh a lot, tell heaps of silly jokes and seemed to be unfazed by whatever life threw at him.  He was also a survivor of the harsh times of the depression.  Born in a tent just outside of Balranald in far western NSW he went on to become my favourite person in the world.  I, thankfully, spent 6 months living within his influence when I went to college to study Medical Imaging.  

My pop was gifted in so many ways and yet wasn't allowed to have his one great love: music.  My grandmother, for some reason, did not like him playing the piano.  Instead he would sneak outside with me, when we could, and play his piano accordion for our entertainment.  He never lost the ability to laugh at the world and to make good of what he had to.  Through his encouragment I've tried many things; some that worked and some that didn't.  

He's long gone now but I still feel his influence, especially when I am in need of direction for myself.  It's as though he is still with me, encouraging me to grow and to continue to give the level of attention to my needs that I sometimes forget.

Today I had to make the tough decision to turn down something that was not the right fit for me.  I chose me.  It's fair to say that it's taken me some time to get to the point of not being afraid to turn something down in the hope that something better will arrive in its place.  That is what I have started to do more and more lately; turn down things that either made my head hurt or my body ache.  To feel good about saying "no" and then taking the risk that comes with it will always feel a little awkward to me.  Yet the more I take the courageous steps to define to the world what I want the happier I feel inside.  Is this what my grandad meant when he used to tell me that saying?  I'd like to think so.  My body is relaxed and my mind is ambling along instead of running in circles.  My day is brighter, and I hope yours is too :)

love 

Susan xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment