Susan Lily New Music


ComScore

Thursday 6 July 2017

The NT: Is It The Last Bastion of The Aussie Larrikin?

Dear Lovely Ones,

As I may have mentioned, I'm up in Alice Springs at the moment working to continue raising the funds to complete my forthcoming album.  It's a very isolated and very special part of our country and big world.

Last Saturday night I was privileged to witness an annual event that can only happen here in the NT.  July 1st marks Territory Day and there's a 12 hour window from 0900 to 2100 where people can buy as many fireworks as they can and discharge them willy nilly around the territory.  From what I've been told it's quite a rebellious time of year as people will line up to then see how many of them can discharge fireworks for the following week or so without securing a $1200 fine from the local constabulary.  I'm not sure how the NT police feel about the random firework displays or trying to catch the perpetrators but as a visitor I've delighted in the rebelliousness.  How many of us even think about walking that fine line of larrikinism that still lives up here in the Red Centre??  As crazy and annoying the constant noise was it also made me chortle when I think about the shenanigans we used to WANT to get up to elsewhere.  Are we all becoming soft? Where is our larrikin spirit?  Is the NT the last bastion of shenanigans and larrikinism?  I do hope not.  I loved seeing this as a paper headline......



As daft as it may seem down south, this is a much preferred front page than all the other tragedies that currently happen in all our states and territories when it comes to social justice and community spirit.

People came together during this crazy time of fireworks and were able to let off the steam needed so they could all go back to work on monday and plan how much they were going to save up for next year's firecrackerama.  I would bet there are savings accounts purely to put "cracker money" away each year, and why wouldn't you.  Who doesn't like a good firework display? :)


lots of love 

Susan xx

ps. As I type I can hear a few more crackers going off somewhere in town.  I hope they are having fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment